The Collaborative Piano Institute is created by and for –you know it– collaborative pianists!
We wanted to build a summer program in which YOU get all the attention. The festival offers an intensive experience tailored to your individual needs, through individual lessons, coachings, masterclasses, group classes, lectures, and performance opportunities with Professional musicians.
Our main goal is to prepare you for the next steps in your life as a collaborator: upcoming auditions for graduate school or Young Artist Programs, making pre-screening recordings, honing the skills required for a successful career, in addition to offering you in-depth classes on various topics such as diction, coaching, performing, conducting, and much more!
The Institute, founded by experienced collaborative pianists Elena Lacheva and Ana Maria Otamendi, begins on June 3rd and ends on June 23rd. In the second and third weeks of the program we are proud to partner with Bravo Summer Music Academy, a summer festival for string players led by Professor Sally O’Reilly and featuring an array of accomplished string faculty, who will be available for chamber music coachings. CPI pianists will be able to collaborate with other accomplished instrumentalists and professional singers in recitals and masterclasses.
FOR our second EDITION, WE ARE PROUD TO WELCOME A STELLAR collaborative piano FACULTY (watch closely for updates!):
- Martin Katz (Earl V. Moore Collegiate Professor in Music at the University of Michigan)
- Kathleen Kelly (Associate Professor at the University of Michigan, former Director of Musical Studies at the Vienna Staatsoper, and former Head of Music/Music Director at Houston Grand Opera)
- Marie-France Lefebvre (Professor of Opera and Voice Coaching, CCM, MET, and SF Opera)
- Howard Watkins (Assistant Conductor, MET)
- Timothy Lovelace (Professor of Collaborative Piano, University of Minnesota)
- Elena Abend (Professor of Piano, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee)
- Christopher Turbessi (freelance pianist, conductor, and vocal coach)
- Elena Lacheva (Vocal Coach, Louisiana State University)
- Ana Maria Otamendi (Director of Collaborative Piano, Louisiana State University)
WE HAVE INVITED INSPIRING INSTRUMENTAL AND VOCAL COLLABORATIVE ARTISTS WHO WILL OFFER INSIGHT FROM THE FRONT SIDE OF THE PIANO:
- Jesse Blumberg (Baritone, Boston Early Music Festival, Boston Lyric Opera, New York Festival of Song, Founder and Artistic Director of Five Boroughs Music Festival)
- Eric Olson (Violinist and Director of the Pre-Conservatory Program, Shattuck-St. Mary’s School)
- Jennifer Olson (Soprano, Professor of Voice, Shattuck-St. Mary’s School)
- Amy Petrongelli (Soprano, Professor of Voice, Penn State Universtiy School of Music)
- Simon Gollo (Violinist, Assistant Professor, New Mexico State University, member of the Reveron Trio)
- Horacio Contreras (Cellist, Assistant Professor, Lawrence University and Music Institute of Chicago, member of the Reveron Trio)
- Amy Sheffer (Mezzo-Soprano, freelance artist)
- see other guest Faculty members here!
The Collaborative Piano summer Institute offers lectures and group classes in:
- Musical style and interpretation
- Audition preparation for graduate school, summer festivals, and Young Artist Programs
- Vocal coaching and score preparation
- Language and diction
- Setting up a coaching studio and career building tips
- Technique issues
- Time management
- Recital programming
- Working with and as a conductor
- Opportunity to record prescreening video and audio
- See more about the Curriculum here!